Thursday, June 30, 2011

Learning never ends...

It's interesting how we never stop learning about ourselves.  I have been complaining talking about this summer camp that I'm participating in this year.  It's a technology camp... I had lots of fun activities planned.  A podcast interview, creating a website, programming in scratch, creating a magazine cover, etc etc.  These kids however - have other plans. 


I walked into school on Monday feeling good about my plans.  I had over planned for the day, so I knew I would have lots to do.  SO WRONG.  I am waiting with my attendance list and looking over it I realized one very awful thing.  It's all middle school boys. This problem is really a significant problem because I struggle as it is to relate to this age of student, even though my license does go down to 4th grade. I specifically didn't even look at middle school positions for this reason when I was looking for a job. Not to mention they are boys, I am not (I know, stating the obvious much?), I never had brothers or male cousins around or close enough in age that I would relate,so this is a struggle.

Here's what I've learned so far:
  • Boys don't care what something looks like, especially when it's not for a grade.  The magazine cover, girls would have spend much more time making it pretty - boys did the mechanics and learned the software methods. That's it.
  • Boys stink. While I've never been a fan of the overuse of body spray that girls use or the layer upon layer of lotion,  I miss the vanilla bean aroma that has been replaced with sweat and BO. And they are totally OK with it!
  • Middleschool-aged students don't clean up after themselves all that great (read: they are messy!!).  I had no idea how messy my classroom would be.  Sheesh! And Phew, allowing food into the lab, HUGE mistake.  HUGE.
  • Middleschool-aged students do not understand sarcasm. I realize that plenty of adults don't as well - but it just never dawned on me that they don't get it.
  • These kids have ENERGY.  I am exhausted after 3 hours with them.  And the talking, they just talk and talk and talk and talk.  I have no idea how anyone can talk so much.
  • Legos are cool.  I knew this (point for me!).  But I didn't know that Legos had web episodes, did you?  I've been completely informed on how to register for an account and set up my own Lego world. 
  • Baseball is the only sport that matters.  I'm a football fan personally, but not with this group. It's all baseball, all the time.  And frankly I know nothing about baseball.  It's offensive to them (previous point earned, now lost).
  • 'A Thousand Ways to Die' is hilarious.  I'm not sure that's ever the adjective I would use to describe that show. Ask my campers, it's the "funniest show EVER".
  • No topic I come up with is good enough. Even if it's sports and video game related.  So I won't waste time coming up with ideas and just let them pick next year from the start ;)

I have no desire to ever teach this general level of students on a full time basis, and before I proceed with holding camp again next year, I need to seriously do some learning how to work with this age better!

No comments:

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...