Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Back to the basics...

Being a teacher and having the summer off really is a blessing.  I know a lot of teachers who work during the summer, and every year I say I'm going to find a part-time job, but in reality, I really use this time to find 'me' again. I get 10 weeks to not be "Mrs. M", not the teacher who can come fix your computer or realign your smartboard, I don't have to worry about homecoming and prom, Friday football games (though I do love a good football game!), it's just me.

With the first two weeks of my break were wasted recovering, then a trip to the ER, and then back to recovering, I'm tired of recovering and want to really use this summer for what I can to get into the workout grind.  I do have to monitor my HR and BP closely, but that's reasonable enough.

I decided last night while hubs and I were walking that I am going to start fresh on the Couch25k program and see how that goes.  No skipping, no rush, just see.  If I still don't at that point enjoy running, then I'll stick to hiking and walking, and in a few months, try again.  The program is 9 weeks, if in 9 weeks I don't even slightly enjoy something, I don't think it's right for me at this point in my life.

I also got inspired by A Journey to Thin's blog and her 30 day challenge (actually, a lot of her progress and watching her transition has inspired me as a whole), so I will also challenge myself to do the 30 Day Shred for 30 days.  Ideally, 10 days on each level.  I will have to see how this will work with our mini vacation coming up, maybe do two one day, and two the day after we come home? Oh well - I will figure it out. And if somehow a day gets lost, I'll just tack it on at the end. I realize I can't control everything.

I also have my yoga lined up, at least twice a week (Tuesday and Thursday evenings) but once summer camp is back over with, I plan on going again on Mondays.  My Tuesday class always leaves me a little sore, so I like to take Wednesday off.

What do you do to recenter and refocus?

2 comments:

Alicia said...

is the 30 day shred the jillian michaels program??

susan said...

Alicia - Yes. I have to use my iPod because listening to her annoys the crap out of me.

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...