Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Failure?


"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely."~ Henry Ford



This is the weekly breakdown for my Weight Watchers Walk It Challenge:


Week 2
             Run   Walk  Repeat
Day 1:  3 min 3 min  4 x
Day 2             Rest      
Day 3   3        3         4 x
Day 4             Rest      
Day 5   5        3         3 x
Day 6   5        3         2 x
Day 7             Rest      

So I got my ipod together, got my new shoes on and was all ready to go and begin week 2.  I went outside because it's freaking beautiful out all warm and sunny and was super excited. I started down the street to another neighborhood that I know is pretty flat.

I started out great.  Did my 5 min warm up, then I did my first 3x3.  Geared up for my second 3x3 and was excited, I was halfway done already.  Then the third 3x3 came along.  I had a small hill to go up (nothing obnoxious or anything) and the sun was pounding down.  My head started pounding and I knew it was a bad sign.  I could feel that my BP was starting to go up.

I made it up the hill and done with that 3 min.  I was beat.  I had to walk 3 more, then just one more 3x3 and 5 min cool down. I could do it... I knew I could do it... But could I? No.  When it came time to run again, I started, and instantly my head felt as though it was going to explode.  So I kept walking. I walked back towards my house so now I've walked 6 minutes and I thought I for sure I could get another 3 out... So I tried.. I'm on my street, just going to go up and down it, and it's flat. I start out and my head is pounding (if you've had a blood pressure headache, you know the feeling) and I got a minute in and I knew that's all I could do... So I semi-completed W2D1.  I don't plan on repeating it. I will just go ahead and do w2d3.

So in my head, I failed. I couldn't do it. But, because my husband is wonderful - he reminded me this is the first time I've actually done this outside, I am very much a treadmill-loving girl.  And secondly - I did this one a lot faster than I've done the ones in the past.  The pace was much faster, so if I had been going my normal treadmill, controlled pace - maybe I could have finished...



3 comments:

This crazy life of mine... said...

Definitely not a failure... You tried and gave it your all and that is what matters. Don't let this get you down!!!! Keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first comment. The circumstances were different than you are used to but even so you did your best, so how can that be a failure? It can't!! Each time it will get easier. I think it's awesome that you did the very best you could!

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

Your husband is totally right, you did do something out there. Even if it wasn't what was planned, you did the best you could. ( ;

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...