Saturday, April 23, 2011

Deep Lock Quarry Exploring

This weekend started off with some miles at the gym. Husband is training for the Tour de Cure (feel free to chip in a few bucks if you'd like!) in Cuyahoga Falls this June, and I'm super excited for him. He is a diabetic and this will be his first ever 'event' he's participated in like this! Go hubs! But after that, we decided to check out a new trail in the MetroPark system that he has been wanting to get out to.  So we packed up our gear, grabbed a quick lunch at Jimmy Johns (ps - totally not worth it IMO) and off we went.

We went to the Deep Lock Quarry, and it shows on the map the Quarry Trail is 1.2 miles. So we decided to explore off the trail in the beginning, and then loop back to the trail and enjoy. We clocked about 2 miles total, and just had a lot of fun. I'm glad we got out there early, it was getting really humid and the sun was beaming down straight overhead. I am NOT an outdoorsy type of person, so this was quite a step for me.  We took some pictures along the way and I thought I'd share.  Anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to check this short trail out should really make a point to.  I can only imagine when the leaves fill in and then in the fall when they change colors how beautiful it would be! 


DSC_0009

Part of one of the towpath trails that you can access from the Deep Lock Quarry entrance.



DSC_0002
Starting out on the actual trail. Proof that I battled bugs (ew) for this trail for hubs.

DSC_0015

DSC_0019

DSC_0026

DSC_0032
I wanted to climb up, husband had a different idea.. He didn't want to haul me out with a broken leg.. So we took the long way up to the top.

DSC_0041

Resting. It was so beautiful looking down!

DSC_0044




2 comments:

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

LOVE the trails too! Never get tired of walking or running or biking. Each has it's own little story. Really great pics BTW thanks for sharing

Amy said...

looks like you had a beautiful day for a hike!

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...