Sunday, May 8, 2011

That Darn 2.4 Mile Mark

Today I went for a wog around a local park that I know the distance on.  5 trips around is 3.3 miles, but there's a walk way through the park that if you cut through, it's just about a 3.1.  I wanted to get a time of me doing it outside without the treadmill controlling my pace, and to deal with inclines and real distractions.  I choose this park also because it's not hard pavement and my shins appreciated it!

Here was my first trip (and again, I'm not 100% on the distance, it could have been a tiny bit less, and closer to the 3.1 mark)


And that couldn't be more true.  It was a minute or so into my third lap and I died.  I wanted to quit. I wanted to walk across the park and get in the car and head home.  I didn't, but I let it get to me, and I let it slow me down. I fought with myself the entire lap.  

I registered for my first 5K and it's in 3 weeks.  So I figure I will practice outside on Wednesdays and Sundays until the big day pretty much. My next trip out this Wednesday I plan on making a few changes. The first is that I will not walk 4-5 minutes in my warmup, like I did today. I will do a little back and forth, and stretch, but I want to take off on my first 4min jog, and see how that affects my time. Because I know I'm not going to take off at the race walking, so I want to get a better feel. 

I've been doing 4 min jog with 2 min walks.  Although on lap three, I pretty much walked most of it. I did like a min jog, and then 2 min walk, then jogged until my timer beeped again and then I proceeded to walk.  But I was determined to do the distance just to know that I could.  I know it's slow, and most people reading this would be shocked I'm going to do the 5k anyhow, but frankly I need to do it and get the fear of the first one over.  Who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself! 

I also know that when I'm actually there - my walking pace will be faster.  When I was walking today, by myself I tend to go much slower than I would with others around me.  Either way - it's my race, and regardless of how long it takes - I'll be the one crossing the line and I need to be happy with how I did. So I can't compare myself to anyone else. 

Husband was there to cheer me on, give me support, and of course, snap pictures.






And since I forgot to talk about the trail we went on the other day (which by the way was AMAZING, and intense) - here's some pictures.

This was at the Ledges trail, in Peninsula.  There are so many little side trails and connections that I couldn't remember them all or where which pics came from where.



I do NOT envy that dude running up. I died walking up the steps!


6 comments:

V said...

beautiful pictures. I find that a beautiful scenery makes me run more often. I was out today at a beautiful say sunshine birds singing the run was perfect.

Alissa said...

You are doing great. After a certain point, running isn't about endurance or stamina, it's just pure mental. Sorry you shut down, but you still did that and you should focus on that win!

Haha, your form looks good in the photos though! I would kill my husband for taking those photos though. :)

Keep on girl! Keep on!

Julie @ ROJ Running said...

You always have the ost lovely pictures. I'm supposed to be doing the Tallmade 5K too. Maybe I'll see you there? if it's the same course as years past...just a heads up there is a crazy hill at the end.

Susan said...

I'd love to see you there (I'll be cruising in about 25 min after you at the finish! haha) :) I checked the course online from what they published and from what I saw (I didn't spend too much time looking) it looked relatively flat. Haha if there is a huge hill, I def appreciate the heads up!

Unknown said...

What do you mean people would say you shouldn't run the 5K!? Nonsense! If I've learned one thing about running peeps, it's that they support you no matter your distance or speed.

I would totally run that with you, if I weren't going to be in Florida. (;

~ Jury said...

So beautiful!!!! I would love to run in that scenary :)

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...