Monday, May 30, 2011

My first 5K (and 100th post!!!)

I am super excited that of all my posts - this is my 100th!!!

Today I had my first 5K. It was the Tallmadge Memorial 5K.

I won't lie - I was not ready for this.  I was wogging once a week because my shin splints were so bad.  And then Wednesday, the week before I did a practice run outside and about 1.5/2 miles in I got so sick I had to stop. I was so dehydrated and got my BP up so high that I was terrified to even try the race after that.  I spent all Friday - Sunday chugging water.  Close to 15 servings a day.  I wasn't risking a repeat of Wednesday, especially when the temps were to peak around 90 today.

After debating, I decided to go through with the race.  I spent some time on YouTube watching videos from last year's run and watching people walk and suddenly wasn't embarrassed that I knew I would have to.  So I headed on Saturday morning to pick up my bib and goodie bag. The shirt is cute, but too short for my liking, not sure I'll ever get to wear it.

My sister happened to be in town from NY, so my parents, husband and sister were able to come to the race, which was great. I needed the support.

I met up with a coworker (the evil one who convinced me to register for this 5k) and we got ready to take off.



By 745, I'm not sure of the temp, but I will say there was ZERO shade.  It was just direct sun beating down on us.  A bit overwhelming.  So we take off and I am fumbling around with my ipod/nike +. ... I thought I had it going, found out about 5 minutes later I never started it..


There was a great crowd there. Everyone from your every day mom and her daughter to a 70-something year old woman who ran her first race (and yes, she finished before me!).  I took off from the line at the back, I didn't want to get run over. Mistake #1 -  I pushed myself a little too hard from the very beginning, ruining my pace and flow.  I couldn't keep up with my run 4, walk 2 almost instantly.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, or what possessed me to 'challenge' myself, but I had the bright idea to jog up the wicked hill, that I watched every non-seasoned runner walk up... That was mistake #2.

Mistake #3 - throwing myself a pity party at one point. Convincing myself I ruined my chances of finishing because I got so far back at one point.  There were probably ... 15 behind me, and at one point, in a loop through a neighborhood - there was no one.  No one I could see in front, and no one behind me (well I didn't look, but no one immediately behind me). There was no one cheering, it was just me.  And I wanted to quit. I wanted to quit so badly.  I convinced myself I would get to the corner and ask a volunteer to borrow their phone, call hubby and say I'm done.  But as I got closer to the corner, and the volunteers were cheering me on, I knew I couldn't.  I wouldn't forgive myself.

So I chugged along.  Shortly after, everyone kept yelling how close I was.  I was convinced they were delusional. There was no end in sight, there was no shade in sight (seriously - this is a quiet neighborhood, why are there are no shady trees on the treelawn folks?!?!).  It was just me, the sun blasting down on my head, and my, finally steady, breathing.  It took me until about 2.5 miles into it to get a good breathing pace down.  Just in time to finish. hah.

I finally saw the end... And my dad was coming over to cheer me on and give me a little pep talk.



With one more deep breath, I knew it was time to give it everything I had left. . .


Smile for the husband and family.

I don't quite remember what made me giggle.  I was not in a giggling mood, so it must have been hilarious to me at the time.



My friend Beth (who finished with an awesome time, wayyyy before me) and her mom were there on the sideline cheering me on.  Sadly - I didn't even see or hear them - all I could see was that black box finish line.


I don't know my official time.  Unfortunately with my ipod fiasco, I will have to wait until they post it.  However, I *believe* it was in the 49 minute range (and NOT last for the women!), which isn't too far off of my initial goal, which was to do it 45 min. Gives me a starting point, that's for sure!

There was a woman in front of me, and her shirt said something along the lines (I forget now) "I may not be first to the finish, but at least I have the courage to come to the starting line" and I thought about that most of the run.  I could have bailed and made excuses. But I didn't.  I showed up and I gave it what I could.  It wasn't what I hoped for, but it was all I could do at this point - and that's more than some people will ever be able to say.  So I'm OK with that.



After downing some gatorade and water - I was able to smile again ;)

I refused to go home, because I knew I'd spend the entire day sleeping, so I went with husband and family to Aurora Farms Outlets.  It was good. Now with these last few pounds lost, I had zero pants for summer, so I managed to get a few.  Good deals, but really just enjoyed spending time with my family. 

Husband asked if I'd run another one... I think I'd be willing to do another, sans that wicked hill and preferably one with some shade ;)  We'll see.. 

4 comments:

Maria @downwarddog said...

Sus -
Congrats on finishing your first 5k and on you 100th blog! Woo Hoo - proud of you girl! We'll have to celebrate at yoga class this week!

Alicia said...

congrats on your first 5k! they can be really fun and addicting, but each race will be challenging in its own special way :)

135by2012 said...

Congrats on both your 100th post and finishing your first 5k! That is amazing! Great job :)

Anonymous said...

YOu need to run more 5K's You look so happy in some of those pictures! COngrats on your 1st 5K and 100th post! I am getting close to my 100, can't believe it

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...