Thursday, April 28, 2011

Zumba those pounds off

I've been a member of a local YMCA for a while, and I joined because I like taking fitness classes.  However, I kept taking classes I hated.  So a friend of mine who takes a Zumba class invited me along.  My first experience was horrid.  I realized how my inner-diva was NOT Latin. Who knew? Not me.  All this time I just assumed I had a sassy latina inside of me ;)

I really should have known that it'd be an awkward experience, after all - I only managed 1 year of jazz dance and that was because my mom wanted me to try it.  I was awful.  I actually have amazing terrifying moves, they just aren't appreciated by anyone with any actual rhythm. And really, let's be honest. Do you think I can focus on what dance moves the teacher is instructing us with when I'm the chubby girl in a leotard in the back while the rest of the girls ribs were showing through? Of course not.

Class number two I started to get into the groove. There were some moves I remembered, and some that I could only giggle through as the girl next to me failed right along with me. She was equally confused, so we just chilled in the back, working up a sweat tripping over our own feet.  Hey, laughing burns calories, right?

Class three I got it.  Well, almost.  I got almost all of the dances and knew what was going. I couldn't do it outside of class without guidance, and I couldn't do all the moves, but I suddenly wasn't tripping over my own feet.

Here are some of my favorite dances (if you've never taken a class, you can do the dances to different music, it all varies depending on instructor). Now remember, when I AM doing these, they look far less graceful, and somewhere deep down low and hidden, I like to pretend my hips are doing what theirs are ;)
Here's a fun basic video:


And here's it in real action:




2 comments:

This crazy life of mine... said...

I watched a Zumba class several months ago and I could NOT imagine my body moving like that. It's just not possible. I am not coordinated enough for that. I think you totaly rock for not stopping after the first class. That's awesome!!

~ Jury said...

I took a class and I have the game for kinect, which is pretty much the same and I like the game more, maybe that's because I think I look silly in the class! haha. but it's definitely a GREAT workout! :)

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...