Monday, February 21, 2011

Bridesmaid Dress Shopping

My big sister is finally getting married! The date is set (Oct 8, 2011) and now that we have a location (Long Island, NY) and a color scheme (Navy) we were set to start looking at dresses.

This weekend my sister came in from NY to come check out some dresses. Her wedding party consists of me,  here in Ohio, my cousin - in Pittsburgh, her friend, also here in ohio and then my other cousin, down in Atlanta.  So finding a dress easily accessible at other shops was ideal.

Together we checked out Coming Attractions Bridal in Akron and David's Bridal in Fairlawn, at Summit Mall. The following day my sister and cousin went to Alfred Angelo in Boardman since we don't have one here.

Here's what it's narrowed down to:

Jasmine Bridal - B2 - B3088A



We liked this dress a lot.  It was cute, but the length was actually a little shorter than we were looking (she ideally wanted tea-length, and this falls a bit shorter than planned).  But the fit was nice (how can a dress look back on someone whose a size 6 anyhow?) and the pockets were a bonus ;)

Then we ventured over to David's Bridal because we knew they'd be easily accessible from any state.  We found three there.  I was partial to the longer ones, because I know what ugly knees I have - but as the maid of honor (well that, and because I'm fat) we might do a different dress for me of same color/same fabric that stands out a bit.  I actually didn't try anything on yet because of the discomfort I'm still in after surgery.  I will likely go another day when it's less busy and I can take my time to get ideas once she settles on a design.

Here are the three choices:

Y Neck Charmeuse Dress with Bubble Hem Style 8417



We sure do love those pockets ;) But again, it's shorter.  This dress was pretty flattering on the hips of the two girls who tried it on.  The color is nice as well.  The neckline was different and something fun - it was nice to have something a bit out of the ordinary.

One-Shoulder Chiffon Dress with Floral Detail Style F14010



This is a dress my cousin has in the red (Apple) color already for another wedding. It was very cute.  It seems like it would be a great fit for various figures and body styles as well.

And finally ...
Strapless Structured Satin Gown Style F14205




This was a last - let's try it on type of thing. It's a beautiful dress - the length was nice, the top was really nice - everything about it was really nice.   No pockets (so sad).

And then - Lor and Nat went to Alfred Angelo (I couldn't make it) and picked out this dress, which I think is the frontrunner. I will be going to try it on in two weeks or so, to see if it will work.  Colors will be Navy and the accent will be charcoal. I really like it. And I can get another wrap to use for my shoulders (she's having an outside cocktail hour, in NY.. it's going to be cold!)

Alfred Angelo Style 7017



I better get rocking on my classes at the Y, and inquiring about a trainer to get into a routine program ;)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

She knows the buttons to push...

Nearly everything she does, she pushes my buttons.  She looks at you with this squinty smirk and answers questions in the bitchiest way she ...